THE 16TH NATIONAL KIDNEY KIDS CAMP
10 to 13 April 2014 - Runaway Bay, Gold Coast Queensland
Kidney Health Australia hosted 115 kids from all across the country, for four days of fun at the ‘Around the World in 4 Days’ National Kidney Kids Camp 2014.
- 115 kids attended from ALL states and territories across Australia
- 12 kids on peritoneal dialysis & 2 on haemodialysis
- 15 nursing staff from QLD, SA & VIC
- 80 volunteer carers from Southern Cross University & QUT
- Y-Lead designed ‘leadership’ activity program
Fun events and adventures included:
- surprise visit by the Gold Coast Suns
- an excursion day to Movie World for everyone.
- ‘Carnivale’ Street Carnival: with bouncy castles, petting zoo, fun photo booth, candy floss, Arcade Games, Giant Games, outdoor cinemas and more....
- activity rotation:- with Bollywood dancers, origami lessons, mad scientist demonstrations, magicians, face painters, cooking Lessons........ and the list goes on!
The Mentor Program, where former Kidney Kids Campers returned to Camp as young adults, offering support to a younger generation of Kidney Kids, was very successful.
Kidney Kids Camps are especially for 'Kidney Kids' (7 to 17) with Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney Kids Camps are a recreational camp for Kidney Kids with Stage 3 kidney failure or greater - and their siblings.
Kidney Kids Camps offer:
days of respite for parents/guardians/carers
opportunity for Kidney Kids to interact with other kids living with kidney disease, and to form strong support networks
siblings get a chance to better understand CKD and meet other siblings of kids with CKD
lots of adventures and masses of fun - see videos below for past records of adventures at camp
Find out how to volunteer for Kidney Health Australia and help with these activities. Staff supporting our Kidney Kids must present a current Police Clearance Certificate. For further information call our Camp Co-ordinator - Colin Finch on 1800 454 363 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kidney Kar Rally
Our National Kidney Kids Camps are made possible through major and significant funding raised by participants of our annual Kidney Kar Rally.
We send a BIG THANK YOU - to our Kidney Kar Rally teams, navigators and financial supporters and sponsors of each of the Kidney Kar Rally teams, for your dedication and passion supporting our programs every year is just awesome and very much appreciated.
Funding is also provided via our Lottery campaigns - if you have bought a lottery ticket, you've helped fund our Kidney Kids and Young Adults programs.
FUN AT 15TH NATIONAL KIDNEY KIDS CAMP 2013
Kidney Kids Camp 'Hollywood' was held in April at Kindilan Outdoor Education & Conference Centre, Redland Bay Queensland. Everyone attending enjoyed fun galore - but particularly the 80 kids who attended this year's Kidney Kids Camp.
Fun adventures included a day at Movie World on the Gold Coast and so much more! Our 'Superman Dan' was in residence, popping up here and there, much to the amusement of the kids. Singing songs, comparing stories makes for kids that sleep well at night. See photos below.
Can you help us? YES you can!
Thank you to all of our supporters, who help us every day with their donations, make our Kidney Kids Camps a success. These are gifts from various trusts and business organisations who provide either funds, their services, or generous gifts.
Many thanks to Sanity for some great goodies for our Kidney Kids
KIDNEY KIDS CAMP 2012
Our 'Join the Circus' Camp involved kids from across Australia (all states except NT - though offered via SA treatment provider)
- 66 children attended camp in 2012 (highest number of Kidney Kids at any National Camp)
- 43 volunteer carers mostly from local universities assist in caring for the kids (and some ex Kidney Kids mixed in as well)
- 15 health professionals from paediatric renal units around Australia supervised medical care
- 47 of the children have kidney disease (from 47 families) with 19 siblings
- 8 children received Peritoneal Dialysis (treatment overnight at camp)
- 3 children received haemodialysis (treatment at Monash Medical Centre near camp)
- 29 children at camp had a functioning transplant
Children were flown (covered by KHA) from around Australia to meet in Victoria. They enjoyed camp activities like High Ropes, Flying Fox, Giant Swing & Archery. Some are confidence building activities such as circus performance skills, karaoke and a camp concert with fun excursion day activities - Circus and Laser Skirmish!
Videos tell the stories of awesome adventures and fun at Kidney Kids Camp 2012
Also check out photos from Kidney Kids Camp (click link to go to Flickr)
Flash Mob - Kidney Kids Camp 2012!
KIDNEY KIDS CAMP - 'CAMP ROCK' 2010
Belair in Adelaide Hills area of South Australia October 2010
Camp 'rocked' with forty-two Kidney Kids, enjoying awesome adventures - kids from around Australia.
These kids were supported by thirty one volunteers, ten health professionals and six health staff.
Click on this YouTube video to see some of their adventures and fun.
Kidney Kids enjoyed - flying fox, pool volley ball, high ropes, giant swing, team challenges, karaoke, ten pin bowling, a hip hop/break dance workshop - Punks, Popstars, Rappers and Metalheads!
KIDNEY KIDS CAMP DIARY 2009
'Lost in the Sth Pacific' Gold Coast, Queensland
Mayday, mayday! A missing aeroplane is reported in the South Pacific after a tropical storm. We crash landed at unknown location!
Aloha! Friendly natives looked after all stranded. After they settled into their huts, kids explored the new land called Tallebudgera with all new and old friends.
In the afternoon we enjoyed games (kite building, sand sculpturing) then we were welcomed by the island natives.
Updated 14 April 2014